Sunday, May 5, 2013

Radio Clandestino playlist from 4/29 with Danny from Debo Band and silent DJ Harpo

Thanks for joining us for another edition of Radio Clandestino. We were joined by our guests Danny Mekonnen of Debo Band (via live phone interview) and the silent DJ Harpo Marx, who brought some fabulous vinyl for your ear-stretching pleasure. Debo Band played a show at the Iron Horse this week (I missed it! Aargh!!). Thanks to our guests this week.
The status of Radio Clandestino is up in the air at the moment. I am awaiting word on a new time slot where I can start a whole 'nother thing. I'll keep you posted. But we've got at least one more program on Monday 230-430pm (EST) at WMUA

Richie Havens..."I'm On My Way"...Richie Havens' Record...(Douglas)
Although I've never been much a a folkie, and Woodstock dosn't mean all that much to me...I still have to play something from the recently departed Richie Havens, who remains one of my all time favorite artists. RIP.

Angá..."A Love Supreme"...Echu Mingua...(World Circuit)
"A Love Supreme" was requested. So I obliged with the Angá Diaz version.

Edward Larry Gordon..."All Pervading" (excerpt)...v/a-Freedom, Rhythm & Sound vol 2...(Soul Jazz)
A selection by Harpo...

Raphe Malik..."Invocation: Spiel City"...The Short Form...(Eremite)
The late great free jazz trumpeter, one of my all time favorites on the instrument. I was actually in attendance for this 1996 concert, the very first time I had ever heard Raphe.



Neneh Cherry & the Thing..."Accordian"...The Cherry Thing...(Smalltown Supersound)
Another DJ Harpo jam, on a Madvillain tune.

Mats Gustafsson...untitled solo...Abet?! 7"...(Terp)
Solo saxophone in concert in Addis Ababa, taken from a 7". Free jazz on 7" is a recent fetish of mine.

Getatchew Mekurya..."Tezeta"...Y'anbessaw Tezeta...(Terp)

--live interview with Danny from Debo Band-- 

Debo Band..."Yekefer Wegagene"...Debo Band...(Sub Pop)



Wallias Band..."Musiqawi Silt"...v/a-Ethiopiques 13: Ethiopian Groove...(Buda)

Mahmoud Ahmed..."Ébo Lala"...Ethiopiques 26...(Buda)



Debo Band..."Akalewube"...Debo Band...(Sub Pop) 

Cheick Hamala Diabaté..."Prudence"...EP...(Electric Cowbell)
From a forthcoming 12" on the always-stellar Electric Cowbell label.



CSC Funk Band..."Funkincense"...Funkincense...(Electric Cowbell)

Turkuaz..."Back to Normal"...Turkuaz...(self released)
Congratulations to the ticket winners!

And now we turn it over to silent DJ Harpo Marx for the late-show blast of soul...
Bar-Kays..."A Piece of your Peace"...Black Rock...(Volt)



Melvin Van Peebles..."A Birth Certificate Ain't Nothing But A Death Warrent Anyway"...What The...You Mean I Can't Sing?!...(Atlantic)

Betty Davis..."Nasty Gal"...Nasty Gal...(Island)



Iggy Pop & Zig Zags..."If I'm In Luck I Might Just Get Picked Up"...45...(Light In The Attic)
If you ever needed to hear Iggy covering Betty Davis and singing "wiggling my fanny"...then this is the record for you.

10cc..."Art For Art's Sake"...How Dare You!...(Mercury)

Judas Priest..."Screaming For Vengeance"...Screaming for Vengeance...(Columbia)
We just couldn't resist this heavy metal classic to pump up the Sportsline team which followed the program.




Promos to:
WMUA 91.1 FM
Attention: Andujar
105 Campus Center
UMass
Amherst, MA
01003
USA
bombasticos@yahoo.com
 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment