Saturday, May 15, 2010

Here's the playlist for my Funky Friday guest spot on The River

Thanks everyone who listened in to the broadcast last night on commercial radio station WRSI, The River, as I was guest selector with Phil Straub.

We pre-recorded it on Thursday night for Friday broadcast, which happened to run during the hours of our Rumba Psicodélica jam at the People's Pint. Speaking of which, I love all the good dancers and percussionists who came out. The joint was jumpin' and just alive with rhythm. Thanks to DJ partners Mike P, Bongohead and B-COMING.

Here's the Funky Friday rundown. Most of them were selections from their library and I added a few of my own. Phil also selected some of them. We ran "classic soul" from 6-9, with a break for the syndicated "Putumayo World Suck Hour" (did I just type that?). Then the program resumed with the 10-midnite "crazy funk" stuff, most of which was the type of music you may hear on my weekly Clandestino show at WMUA.

Thanks to Phil and WRSI.

Starting with the "classic soul" slot...
Edwin Starr..."War"
BT Express..."Do It (Til You're satisfied)"
Lyn Collins..."Think (About It)"
William DeVaughn..."Be Thankful"
Undisputed Truth..."Smiling Faces"



Dyke & the Blazers..."We Got More Soul"
Fuckin' A--this is one of the greatest bands ever!!!!!!!

Bobby Byrd..."Sayin' It & Doin' It"
Nina Simone..."Save Me"
Eddie Bo..."Lover & A Friend"
Joe Bataan..."Chick-a-Boom"
The JBs..."Pass the Peas"
Beginning of the End..."Funky Nassau"
Stevie Wonder..."I Wish"
For Stevie's birthday.

Houseguests..."What So Never The Dance"
This is the Bootsy/JB's "Love Power Peace" band.

Joe Quarterman & Free Soul..."The Trouble with Trouble"
Since Phil's from DC, I think he'd agree with me on this track!



Aretha Franklin..."Chain of Fools" (original unedited version)
This is one my oldest faves, from when I was very small, except that this version never came out till the Lady Soul CD reissue in the 90s.

Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings..."This Land is your Land"
Hank Jacobs..."Elijah Rockin' With Soul"
Major Lance..."I'm the One"
Breakestra..."Sister Sanctified"
Parliament..."Testify"
I didn't realize this was the Casablanca version. I actually wanted the Revilot 45 version, heard here.

Sly & the Family Stone..."I Want to Take You Higher"
James Brown..."I Got the Feeling"
Mickey & the Soul Generation..."Iron Leg"
Check it out here.

Al Green..."Love & Happiness"
Hepcat..."Gimme Little Sign"
Alton Ellis..."Alton'a Groove"
Fontella Bass..."Rescue Me"
The Cimarons..."We are Not the Same"
Eddie Kendricks..."Keep On Truckin'"
Mandrill..."Fat City Strut"
Curtis Mayfield..."Future Shock"
Syl Johnson..."Concrete Reservation"
James & Bobby Purify..."I Take What I Want"
Jorge Ben..."Take It Easy My Brother"
Jackie Moore..."Precious, Precious"
Hear it here.

Cymande..."The Message"
Paul Humphrey & his Cool Aid Chemists..."Funky LA"
Tony Allen..."Crazy Afrobeat"
Ripple..."I Don't Know What It Is..."
Chosen Few..."Collie Stuff"
Isley Brothers..."That Lady"

Here's where we really start getting crazy...the 10-midnite slot!
Budos Band..."Chicago Falcon"
Bronx River Parkway..."Donde"



Grupo Fantasma..."Teleraña"
From the brand new album, El Existential.

The Clash..."Magnificent Seven"
Kokolo..."Magnificent Seven"
Honny & the Bees Band..."Psychedelic Woman" (Bonobo remix)
Ocote Soul Sounds & Adrian Quesada..."Contra el Sol"
The Lions..."Jungle Struttin"
Nomo..."Waiting"
Lekan Babalola..."Kabioye" (Mark De Clive-Lowe remix)
Featured on the CD below, compiled by DJ Bongohead and yours truly.



Nostalgia 77..."Seven Nation Army" (Grant Phabao remix)
Up, Bustle & Out..."Rebel Satellite"
Tom Tom Club..."Genius of Love"
Orlando Cachaito Lopez..."Cachaito in Laboratory"
Vicki Anderson..."Meassage from the Soul Sisters"
Geraldo Pino & the Heartbeats..."Let Them Talk"
I've set up a Pino Facebook page here.

Pimps of Joytime..."Street Sound"
Quantic Soul Orchestra..."Tropidélico"



Nico Gomez..."La Lupita"
Skeletons..."Positive Force"
Great new album from Nostalgia 77 folks.This one is getting a lot of play around here.



Nickodemus..."N'Dini"



T-Bird & the Breaks..."Stand Up"
Brownout..."Tell Her She's Lovely"
Los Fulanos..."Kiss"

At some point soon it will be available through The River as a podcast. Until then, enjoy "Funky Fridays" with Phil every week 6-midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment