Monday, July 13, 2009

clandestino playlist 7/13...my guest: sharon jones!!!!!


This was a day to remember as we had one of my favorite singers as my guest on the show...Ms. Sharon Jones of the mighty Dap Kings. Sharon spent a half an hour with me on the phone talking about life and music. Thanks so much for the opportunity to have the one-and-only Sharon with us for the occasion. Big thanks also to Neal Sugarman, the folks from Lever & Beam, Glenn Siegel, DJ Bongohead, and Anilynn Diaz. Also...the phones were ringing off the hook for the whole show...some names I remember in the blur: Kevin, DJ 12XU, Cloaca, Cuco, and others. The other crazy thing that happened was that the main transmitter went down, about 10 minutes after we were done with Sharon and it was confusing for a minute or so as I was trying to assess the problem. Thanks to Dan the Man (Ferreira) for getting us on the back up transmitter in about one minute. It reminds me of the very first solo radio show I ever did when the transmitter went down and I totally thought it was all me! But it wasn't and I didn't get discouraged. Anyways, I'll try to get this interview transcribed and posted ASAP. Next week we'll have DJ Bongohead and Grupo Fantasma's Adrian Quesada for a special Texas edition of Clandestino.
It goes like this (artist/ song/ album/ label):

nina simone/ feeling good/ verve

lloyd price/ feelin' good/ 45/ ludix



syl johnson/ come on sock it to me/ 45/ twilight

dyke & the blazers/ funky walk pt 1/ so sharp!/ kent

marva whitney/ what do i have to do to prove my love to you/ v/a-james brown's funky divas/ polydor

eddie bo/ roaman-itus/ check mr popeye/ rounder

sugar pie desanto/ soulfull dress/ 45/ checker

sharon jones & the dap kings/ pick it up, lay it in the cut/ dap dippin'/ daptone
SJDK/ let them know/ 100 days 100 nights/ daptone
binky's intro from dap dippin'....

--live phone interview with Sharon Jones--



SJDK/ how do you let a good man down/ naturally/ daptone
SJDK/ how long do i have to wait for you?/ naturally/ daptone
sharon jones/ how long do i have to wait for you? (ticklah remix)/ 45/ daptone
sharon jones w/greyboy & quantic/ got to be a love/ soul mosaic/ ubiquity
SJDK/ what if we all stopped paying taxes?/ 45/ daptone

lee fields/ do you love me... / my world/ truth & soul



lee fields w/ sharon jones & the dap kings/ stranded in your love/ naturally/ daptone

el michels affair/ bring da ruckus/ enter the 37th chamber/ fatbeats

menahan street band/ the wolf/ 45/ dunham



budos band/ budos rising/ II/ daptone

bronx river parkway & candela all stars/ san sebastian 152/ san sebastian 152/ truth & soul

orgone/ sophisticated honky/ the killion floor/ ubiquity

nicole willis & the soul investigators/ if this ain't love i don't know what is/ keep reachin' up/ light in the attic/timmion

the dynamites featuring charles walker/ come on in/ kaboom!/ thirty tigers



pimps of joytime/ funky brooklyn/ funk fixes & remixes/ wonderwheel

antibalas/ che che kolé (makossa)/ 12"/ daptone

naomi shelton & the gospel queens/ what have you done my brother?/ what have you done, my brother?/ daptone



It has been an honor and a pleasure to have the Star of the Show, Sharon Jones, on my program. This was really a show for the ages. Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings play this Saturday at the Green River Fest in Greenfield, MA. Details here. Next week: Grupo Fantasma's Adrian Quesada and local hero DJ Bongohead for our Clandestino Texas Special! Clandestino airs live every Monday 230-430 PM (ET) at WMUA.org, hosted by Andujar.
Promos to :
WMUA 91.1 FM
Attention : Andujar
105 Campus Center
UMass
Amherst, MA
01003
USA

No comments:

Post a Comment